Dudeoir is the catch phrase but I wanted to shoot clean simple images in my studio to see what lighting styles work well for men. I booked Damion from the Gingersnap agency for a two hour test shoot to find out more. Here are my shots…

Well, there you are, 30 of the 67 shots that Julie selected from our mini test shoot. Damion was great to work with and will be our model on the forthcoming photographing men in the studio workshops. The workshops need a catchier title so if you have any ideas or wish to register your interest please email Blaise.

Browse our range of upcoming photography training courses here.

What are your favourite shots from this set and why?

Greg Dykes (@pyropeck)
@damienlovegrove Imo 15 is a bit gay times and 23 is my fav and will appeal to women.

Thu Apr 14 17:52:03 2011

Jo Belfield (@JoBelfield)
@damienlovegrove nice very nice

Thu Apr 14 19:51:18 2011

Lesley Pattinson (@memsthrualens)
@damienlovegrove yum yum!!! I’m liking those Damien ;)

Thu Apr 14 19:57:17 2011

Martyn Norsworthy (@norsphoto)
@damienlovegrove great shots! especially 14/19/30

Thu Apr 14 22:29:02 2011

Suzy Richards (@serichards)
@damienlovegrove No 14 and No3 my faves. No 14 cos it’s a bit different and No 3 because the direct eye contact is engaging. More men pliz!

Thu Apr 14 22:47:11 2011

Facebook Comments

comments

17 Responses

It’s always interesting for me to see the variation in ‘favourite’ pictures. Thank you for the compliments. Unless I can encourage a few delegates to join me on a shooting men workshop this may be one of the last just guy picture sets you see here. I’m sure I will photograph men for personal work from time to time.

Best wishes, Damien.

1. Lesley

I like the composition and structure of 1, 26, 27 and 29 – and the drama of 12.

NB: That venetian blind really earns it’s keep!

2. Lila

Absolutely fantastic as always:) The model is sooo yummy:) I think they are all great, I really like 1,7,19,29, and I absolutely love 9,10,14 :) Can’t wait to see some more of this kinds;)

3. Helen

Really good to see you shooting men Damien. There aren’t enough inspiring photos of men on the web and these days men seem to want to look as good as their brides on their wedding day and engagement shoot.

4. Darren

Great set of images again Damien. Always so impressed with your work and the way you just seem to capture every shot so perfectly. Such an inspiration!

5. Jonathan Hughes

+1 to Helen’s comment above.

Damion’s skin texture looks very natural, could you let me know what (if any) retouching has been done to his skin please Damien?

Hi Jonathan,

The only skin retouching Luke did was to de freckle Damion. Thats why the skin looks natural.

Thanks for endorsing Helens comment. Best regards, Damien.

6. Julie Lovegrove

For all you ladies out there, Damion is GORGEOUS in reality too! Get yourselves booked onto the 8th June Studio Lighting workshop to take fabulous photos like these yourselves :)

Hi David,

You are right about the venetian blind being my favourite toy. I love dingle too :)

Cheers,

Ask a question or leave a comment…

About The Author

Damien Lovegrove is a world renowned portrait photographer specialising in making women look fabulous. “I’m inspired by beauty and as I have matured as a photographer I’ve learned to see beauty in just about everyone and everywhere. It’s not what I look at that matters to me, it is what I see. I love people and I suppose women in particular. I love their mannerisms, fashion, style and beauty."