I’ve been testing kit and doing a few fun practice shoots ahead of my next workshops in Belgium and the Wild West USA.
The first few shots in this post are of Liv Free. We did a quick simple shoot at Pipewell Hall using a couple of Lupo 1000 Fresnel lights and a mains operated haze machine.
01. I used a classical style for this shot of Liv. I used the contrast depth effect used by the renaissance painters of the late 15th and early 16th century, this method depicts the most distant parts in the scene with the least contrast.
02. Still with a bit of haze hanging in the air I shot this frame with a warmed up white balance.
03. Pipewell Hall is a wonderful shoot location with eccentric touches to an otherwise classical interior.
04. I shot Liv from above using the 32-64mm lens to capture this peaceful study.
The next three photographs are of young Belgian dancer Lana Verkest. We shot in an abandoned factory near Charleroi in Belgium. I was shooting with my friends and we took it in turn to create a few setups.
05. I lit Lana Verkest with a couple of Godox AD600 units fitted with a 70cm softbox from the left and a strip light reflector from the right.
06. A puff of smoke from the Smoke Factory Scotty 2 machine caught the sunlight in this naturally lit scene.
07. Two Godox AD600 flashes were used in HSS mode for this shot of Lana.
Next on the scene was Sherelle De Jong also from Belgium. We shot in the same factory and continued to brave the cold.
08. Sherelle De Jong in a puff of smoke and lit with a pair of Godox AD600 flashes.
09. Sunlight through an artificial haze.
10. I shot a few casual sequences of Sherelle using natural light and the 110mm lens on my GFX50s camera.
11. Sunlight, beauty, fun.
My friends and I had a day of shooting in this fabulous apartment in Ghent that I had hired and Qian was our model for the session.
13. I lit Qian with a Lupo 1000 spotlight with a Scattergel.
I shot Qian for my forthcoming book Tutu. Don’t ask me when it will be out because right now I feel I still have more to shoot and apart from a title and 650 frames in the shortlist I still have no final plan. I’ll get the feeling when I’m almost there and I hope by the autumn of 2018 I should be able to plan the final shoots and production.
14. The Lupo spotlights came in handy here too.
15. The apartment in the centre of Ghent was a perfect shoot location and I feel we only just started to see it’s potential.
16. The light behind was natural reflected sunlight coming through a Venetian blind. The key light was a Lupo 1000 spotlight.
17. I Love pixie cut hair styles like this and it suits Qian perfectly.
18. I placed the Lupo 1000 spotlight with Scattergel out on the terrace and shone it back through the kitchen window.
19. High key study. As many of you know I’m keen to let white be white and I’m not scared of clipped histograms. This is bright but I think I got away with it.
If like me you are passionate about creating beautiful pictures of beautiful people join me on this 8 day photography road trip/ adventure to the Wild West USA or this 3 day intensive workshop in Tuscany.
Please feel free to comment on these photographs below.
Walking On Sunshine...
Sign up to receive subscriber discount codes and advanced notice of future photography workshops, holidays and adventures with Damien Lovegrove.