Bristol ‘Urban Portraits’ 3 – pictures

Nov 20, 2008 | Flash | 8 comments

An interesting lightbox and a homage to Yervant inspired this picture

An interesting light box and a homage to Yervant inspired this picture

Here is a selection of the pictures shot on Tuesday’s workshop.

A slash of light from a Speedlight created the drama in this simple picture.

A slash of light from a Speedlight created the drama in this simple picture.

Magic low level interior light from two distant windows gave us the opportunity for a few special pictures.

Lighting set up as above, with the camera set on manual, I used ISO 800 f/3.2 at 1/30th second.

The lighting set up in this picture is the same as the as above, with the camera set on manual exposure for the whole set I used ISO 800 f/3.2 at 1/30th second.

A 30w downlighter provided the background pattern and windowlight flodded the foreground.

A 30w down lighter provided the background pattern and window light flooded the foreground.

The Canon 70 - 200 f/2.8 lens is truly a wonderful piece of glass. The Bokeh is exquisite.

This is my Mondrian inspired shot.

This is my Mondrian inspired shot.

A dark corner provides the ideal space for a high key shot.

A dark corner provides the ideal space for a high key shot. The background wall really is dark grey.

Another shot in the dark.

Another shot in the dark. That's a good name for a film.

Flare pictures excite me and I love to experiment with the usable limits.

Flare pictures excite me. I love to experiment with the usable limits.

Flash on a stand provided the light.

Flash on a stand provided the light. I zoomed the Speedlight to 105mm to create the slash of flash.

Lights out of focus at f/2.8 set the mood for this dusk portrait.

The lights in the Lloyds Bank building on Bristol waterfront out of focus at f/2.8 set the mood for this dusk portrait lit with a stand mounted Speedlight.

The last shot of the day.

Please feel free to comment on these pictures, especially if you were with me on the day.

Hi Zsolt,
    All the shots were taken on my Canon 5D. The lens I was using is an IS version and I used a monopod. Lens is light when on a monopod ;-)

2. Zsolt

Wonderful portraits! May I ask what camera you used for these shots? And, is the 70 – 200 lens the IS version? Shooting sharp images at 1/30 while holding a flash is no small feat! From what I’ve heard this lens is quite heavy.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your kind words. For the bottom 2 pictures I used ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/30th second, and my flash held in my left hand with a Stofen on and my camera with it’s 70 – 200 lens in my right hand. I could not have taken the shot with a 1D or 1Ds type camera because of the excessive weight of the camera body. The other option would have been to carry the weight of the camera and lens combination on a monopod.

Best wishes,

4. Lee

Hi there Damien,

I attended a workshop you taught at the Annabel Williams studio on The Digital Wedding earlier this year.

I’ve been keeping an eye on your blog since the start and I find it very informative and it drives me to better my skills. Congratulatrions and keep up the good work! :)

Quick quiestion… What camera settings did you use for the bottom 2 images?

Lee

5. Roger Griffiths

Absolutely stunning Damien and a real inspiration. Like Ziggy, I’m looking forward to the new DVD as your other 2 are almost worn out with use now!!

Rog

6. Chris

your work continually excites and there is always something fresh and inspiring with every post.
    I Love “another shot in the dark” another classic!

Hi Ziggy, Just like busses, my posts often come in 2’s or 3’s :)

The Winter wedding DVD is in the final stages of production. Expect a major announcement soon.

Kind regards,

8. Ziggy

How sad am I? I check your blog at least twice a day to see what’s new. My disappointment at finding nothing is always tempered by what I find when there is. Today is no exception. Long may it continue. Love these pictures. My copies of your tow original DVD’s are wearing thin now. When will we see the ‘winter wedding’ version?

Truly great stuff. Long may it continue. Many thanks.