Studio Lighting Workshop ~ Pictures and Techniques

Apr 15, 2010 | Flash, Studio | 17 comments

What did I say here? Answers on a postcard. Punchy lighting was created with the minimum of fuss.

What did I say to shock Henri here? Answers on a postcard. Punchy lighting was created with the minimum of fuss and a sheet of Lovegrove gel. The background was my grey studio wall.

We started shooting with just one light. Here it was a simple beauty dish. The background was my grey studio wall.

Once we were away with multi light set ups I showed how to shoot punky set ups. Again I used a gel to light the grey wall background.

Here are a couple of Orbis shot from the day. I normally show my Broncolor ring flash but at multiple thousands of pounds the Orbis was the more likely option for my delegates.

Here are a couple of Orbis shot from the day. I normally show my Broncolor ring flash but with it costing multiple thousands of pounds the Orbis at under £190 was the more likely option for my delegates to own.

Another simple Orbis shot showing the tel tale dark halo effect.

Another simple Orbis shot showing the tel tale dark halo effect.

A bed of liquid silver was my next nifty prop. It was a FatBoy bean bag and some silver fabric from John Lewis.

A bed of liquid silver was my next nifty prop. It was really a FatBoy bean bag and some silver fabric from John Lewis.

Tango the dog made an apearance too. I showed how to light full length portraits and seperate the lighting of the foreground and background zones.

This simple shot was created with my Arri 300. A slash of light is easy to create with a decent set of barn doors on a lensed light.

The day finished with an unexpected burst of natural daylight caused by me opening the door :)

Please feel free to comment on the pictures or the techniques used. This is just a tiny selection of the pictures shot throught the training process. The Studio Lighting workshop is a journey of discovery punctuated with a series of shooting opportunities. If you want to liberate your lighting and post production potential,  join Marko and I on the 6th and 7th of May for a two day shoot and edit workshop based on my Studio Lighting workshop and Marko’s post production masterclass. Details are here.

If you found this helpful, you may also like to read Studio portrait lighting with minimal kit ~ feature article

Thanks Multiblitz :)

1. karl

cool stuff D…..

2. James Oliver

Some really amazing images here Damien, love it!
    Are you still planning on releasing a Studio lighting DVD this year?

Hi James,

Yes, I’m still planning a studio lighting DVD for a Christmas release. Damien.

3. Neil Hanson

Hi Damien,

Thank you so much for a great experience on this studio course. I learned loads and I am now looking at how best to utilise all the info in my own studio……

Damien’s enthusiasm and creativity is just amazing. It’s not just a studio course on “this is how you light this…”. But a journey on how to create these fantastic images, introduce so many different elements and stytems, but also adapt his shooting style to your own requirements.

If you have never been on one of Damien’s Courses then I highly recommend them – great stuff!.

Thanks Henri as well!

Cheers!
    Neil.

Hi Neil,

It was great to have you at my studio. Your kind words and endorsement are much appreciated.

Regards, Damien.

4. Claire Plumridge

Love your shots – as usual, especially the last two

5. jean Dawkins

love shot with tango, how did you get just one shadow great stuff

Hi Jean,

I used controlled backlights that don’t illuminate the floor. The extra shadows are out of shot :)

Kind regards,

6. Keith L

Hi Damien,

Great work! I’m considering on purchasing a Lovegrove gel pack. What kind of reflector should they be used on and how do you get them to stay in place?

Cheers!
    Keith

Hi Keith,

I fit the gels to a Bowens Maxilight reflector with a crocodile clip. Wide reflectors are best. Cheers, Damien.

7. Ian

Some really striking ones here – love the last two

8. Rich Bailey

Wonderful pictures Damien. Great impact as ever.

Rich

9. Alex Brandon-Smith

Love the Arri shot Damien….very nice indeed.

10. Tara Taylor

Great as always – can’t wait for the studio lighting course I am booked on!

Thanks Tara, Alex, Rich, Ian and Claire.