Test shoot on location with Stina Saunders

Jul 21, 2010 | News | 16 comments

Here are a few of my pictures of Stina taken on a big flash test shoot with fellow photographer Nick Bunton. We pooled our lighting equipment so we had 2 Mobil A2R kits, 4 Mobil flash heads, a ringflash or 2, and 5 Speedlights at our disposal. We both chose to shoot Nikon and I used my Nikon D700, with 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses.

1. This frame of Stina was shot in front of a concrete pillar supporting under a link road

1. This frame of Stina was shot in front of a concrete pillar supporting a link road in Bristol. The lighting design is simple but effective. Two 3/4 backlights were provided by a couple of Mobil heads and a Broncolor ringflash on camera completed the look. ISO 200, 1/200th at f/11

2. Make up for the shoot was provided by the very talented Kelly Standaloft.

2. Make up for the shoot was provided by the very talented Kelly Standaloft. The weather was often overcast and we used big flash for all our shots including this frame.

3. This is the image we set up to create. I lit Stina with a Broncolor Beauty dish on a magic arm clamped to a Lowel Grand Stand. This rig gave us the opportunity

3. This is the image we set up to create. I lit Stina with a Broncolor beauty dish on a magic arm clamped to a Lowel Grand Stand. This rig gave us the opportunity to position the beauty dish directly above the shooting line. A second Mobil head provided the kick light on the left. ISO 250, f/14 1/200th second.

4. This second shot with the same make up and outfit was lit with a single ringflash unit.

4. This second shot of Stina with the same make up and outfit was lit with a single ringflash unit. A budlia bush provided a striking background.

5. In close up is is easy to see the appeal of ringflash.

5. In close up, is is easy to see the appeal of ringflash.

6. I love railway tracks and this ringflash lit shot

6. I love railway tracks and this ringflash lit shot shows a vulnerability. The tracks and sleepers look big alongside Stina.

7. A variation on the shot above.

7. A variation on the shot above.

The second look featured gold lips. I lit this frame with a bare faceed beauty dish.

8. The second look of the day featured gold lips. I lit this frame with a bare faceed beauty dish on a Magic Arm and Grand Stand rig. Without the Magic Arm the lighting stand would have been in the shot.

Here's a close up showing Stina's gold lips.

9. Here is a close up showing Stina's gold lips.

10. I wanted to test out a new dingle technique so we waited for the rain to stop before giving it a go. Lit with a bare faced Mobil head and a Sycamore tree branch :)

11. The sun soon came out and together with a couple of Mobil packs on full power we made this street look shot. I used my 14-24mm lens at 14mm.

12. As above. Beauty dish key light and a bare faced Mobil head as a kicker.

12. As above. Beauty dish key light and a bare faced Mobil head as a kicker.

The last set up of the day featured the most elaborate make up and lighting set up.

13. The last set up of the day featured the most elaborate make up and a three point lighting set up.

14. Here's a mono version of the look for good measure.

16. This, the last frame shows the true colours.

16. This, the last frame shows the value of vibrant kick lighting.

These shots form part of my research for a “Big Flash In The City” workshop. I still have some more testing and planning to do but if you are interested in attending this workshop please email Blaise so we can asses demand. Please feel free to comment on these pictures.

1. stefaan

Dear Damien,

I have a question:
    Is it worth to buy a Ringflash? Do you use this often for indoor and outdoor Photography. Because i own a flash with battery pack for outdoor with beauty dish but i mostely don’t have a assistent to keep my statue for the wind. i taught a ring flash is the solution i can connect it to my camera and don’t need a statue anymore? Or the picture will loose a lot of quality only using the ring flash?

Greetings Stefaan

Hi Stefaan,

Ring flash has a look all of its own. It’s often regarded as a one trick pony. I’ll only use an Orbis with a Speedlight for interiors and occasionally outside in the shade. In full sun outside I’ll use the Elinchrom Quadra ring flash head. Ring flash has a unique look that you’ll either like or hate. Used off the lens it becomes cumbersome but can deliver softer results than with a bare faced flash head.

2. Beth Savage

DHi

I love these pictures! I am currently trying to build up a very versitile portfolio and wondered how to go about booking a shoot with you??

Regards

Beth Savage

Hi Beth,

In the first instance give my PA Blaise a call on 01275 853204. Or drop her an email with your ideal requirements. She will be able to discuss prices and date options. I have many opportunities for shoot training and can combine studio and location shooting in the same session if you like. I hope this helps.

3. Bob Rhodes

Awesome!…I love these D. the look is just as you say, fashion mag style.
    The colours are superb, locations rock, and the model is gorgeous!

Thanks Bob for your encouragement and kind words,

4. Tim

I like the edited style and I don’t think it is overcooked at all!
    If you look through fashion magazines elle, harpers ect you see this style which is the cross process look used a lot now.
    You need to keep moving with the times in this game.
    Nice images and editing

Thanks Tim,

You are right about the contemporary looks. They will look dated soon though. Thanks for your compliments.

Regards, Damien.

5. Markus MacGill

Fab use of the pillar and three-point lighting.

Reckon there’s a lot added from the third light being a ringflash on camera.

Thanks for breaking down the lighting construction, really helps. I know it’s easier to see than actually to do, but seeing that it’s not all that difficult is half way to doing it more easily, if you know what I mean!

PS Damien, enjoy your well-earned break, sounds like from your workshops output that you easily deserve it!

Cheers Markus.

Break was great thanks. I can’t wait to get back shooting next week. Three point lighting is my favourite technique at the moment.

6. Fergus Morley

Stina is so gorgeous that I guess it would be difficult to take a bad picture of her. I think it’s her facial bone structure(and her wonderful figure) that makes the pictures.

Thanks Fergus. I’m sure Stina will love your compliments. Cheers, Damien.

7. Catherine Fleming

Great shots of Stina. I love the make-up and the three different looks. Kelly did a great job. I know it’s sometimes difficult on a shoot waiting around for the make-up to get done but it really can change the whole look of the photo and does add another dimension to the model and the ultimate picture. Well done – I love the last three pictures.

Catherine

Thanks Catherine,

You are right about the time element for makeup. Thanks for your compliments.

Damien

8. Sean Gannon

Morning Damien,

As always cheers for sharing. You know I love your work and the techniques / formulas that you share. This is quite different from your usual work and I think the post production might be a bit over cooked. Its certainly a different style from your usual work. I know that as ‘creatives’ our style is always migrating but this is quite a change. We all have to try different looks, etc but please don’t change your whole editing style.

Sean

Hi Sean,

Dont panic :) I’m only throwing in a few looks to add interest to the blog. All my shots get edited to a clean natural state. I then throw a few looks at them and save out in separate folders. My legacy pictures are all natural. I do agree that these shots look over cooked now. Sometimes I get carried away with the moment and the music I’m playing has an effect too.