Fine Art Book Project ~ Stage 1

Sep 20, 2010 | News | 26 comments

After various bits of speculation and leaks of information (by me) interest in my book project is finally taking off. Here is my account of the first part of the journey.

One of my many detail shots of the fabulous Chloe-Jasmine Whichello. I love just getting in there with my 100mm lens. It always makes Chloe giggle and thats a good thing.

I say my book, but really, this is OUR book. Chloe – Jasmine Whichello and I are jointly working on this art project which is of great importance to us both. Ever since we first shot together back in May it was obvious that we shared the same passion to create images of outstanding quality. Dedication, and a constant drive on both of our parts often left us exhausted at the end of each session. Working with either of us isn’t easy but when we are both together there is some magic that transcends the task in hand and creativity flows.

Torvil and Dean, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Elton John and Bernie Taupin all produced bodies of work that beyond the sum of their individual talents. C-J and I do the same, The process is fun and strangely intimate yet distant and professional. This book is just chapter one of our journey.

Shapes, beautiful shapes. Emotions, beautiful emotions.

Shapes, beautiful shapes. Emotions, beautiful emotions.

The book idea was something I came up with a while ago. Shoot 3 I think it was. And it drove my shift towards shooting fine art portraits with Chloe. I’ve recently developed a passion for creating photographs that go beyond the gloss and punch of my Speedlight style. These shots melt into an era of romance and beauty inspired by mid 20thC films. Don’t get me wrong, I still love punchy flash lit shots but this project is a break from all that. An acoustic album if you will.

Last week we had the shoot of our lives. Chloe and I spent the preceding days sending each other links to collections of photographs that we loved and I compiled a series of moodboards using Moodboard Pro for the iPad. We kept Vicki in the loop too. Vicki is my house make up artist and has become a good friend to both of us, especially Chloe. Her calm, caring support for Chloe is vital for the spark to stay brightly lit between us. The three of us are a team. We shot fine art nudes on location at the fabulous Swan Hotel in Wells in Somerset and the woods nearby. These shots are not for publication on the blog but will certainly be in the book. The nudes of Chloe are probably the best shots of my life to date.

The bath was cold but the shot is hot.

The bath was cold but the shot is hot. 100mm lens

On Sunday, once Chloe has finished treading the boards at London Fashion Week and I’ve returned from Photokina in Cologne we are going to select the pictures for the book. We will make post production notes for every image and then the work begins. Not just for Marko and Luke but for Chloe too. Chloe will write the lyrics inspired by thoughts, words, pictures, memories and our moments shared.

The book is going to be a collection of words and pictures. A fusion of our creativity. I expect it will take just two weeks to pull all the content together. Luke, my in-house graphic designer will design the book layouts using Adobe inDesign.

The print run. I want to print 1000 copies for the first edition. Each of them numbered and signed. The first 100 copies will have an original signed and numbered fine art print made in my studio using the finest paper inside the front jacket. 1000 copies is too many for digital offset to be cost effective and is more suited to the Litho print process. My next move will be to employ the services of a book printing broker to act on our behalf.

Simple elegance and beauty come easily to my lens when I'm shooting with Chloe.

Simple elegance and beauty come easily to my lens when I'm shooting with Chloe.

The launch party is going to be our big event. Chloe and I are scheming and dreaming about the glamour of a west end gallery launch. My daughter Francesca is already thinking about dresses and there is a real buzz about this project. Expect a fab party with Champagne. Chloe has the contacts and skills to pull off an exceptional do.

1. mandy marshall

It is totally beautiful x

Thank you Mandy.

We have some catching up to do ;) See you soon, Damien x

Hi Chloe,
      I’ve read your poetry, I know your every feature, I know how much of you is in this project and yes you are A M A Z I N G so together we can’t fail. xx

2. Coventry Bob

Thanks to you and Chloe I now have my first Christmas present on order (figuratively speaking) – you always come up trumps at this time of the year.
    Keep up the great work
    Regards to the team at Lovegrove Inc

Hi Bob, It probably won’t make it for Christmas but soon after.

Thanks Damien. :)

3. Mart G

I feel very fortunate to have witnessed a small part of the creativity and magic behind this project, and I have no doubt that this book will fuel a passion for artistic imagery amongst a thousand people.

Inspirational and influential fine art photography by a contemporary master – I’ll be watching very carefully for further details of how to secure a copy.

I’m not sure about ‘contemporary master’ but I do appreciate your energy and enthusiasm for this project.

4. Andy Baines

All Im going to say about this is, Invite :) i know its going to be a beautiful and inspirational piece of work !

Thanks Andy. D.

5. Darren Athersmith

Damien these pictures are amazing (as ever), can’t wait for the book. Will you be taking pre-orders and if so when?

Darren.

Hi Darren,

We will be taking pre orders. Details to follow. Thanks for your kind words :))

6. Michaela

Damien This is the style of photography that got me well and truly hooked… was devastated that due to a house move, couldn’t make it to the masterclass…. Is there a waiting list for the book? I think the 1,000 run will get snapped up pretty quickly..

Thanks again for pushing your boundaries, it is wonderful watching it all unfold.

Hi Michaela,

Julie and I are running another art masterclass, this time in Gloucestershire. I will be shooting Chloe – Jasmine again and Julie will be photographing Binky too. We will be having the same dream team. Details are here.

The book will sell out quite quickly then we will have to produce a second edition perhaps or a cut down version. I’ll be publishing pre order options on this blog well in advance of release so you will have time to secure your copy.

7. Thorsten

Sounds great. Chloe had mentioned to me that she was going to feature in a new book with/by you, but I assumed it was another “how-to” book. But this is on an entirely different level altogether and sounds very exciting indeed. Looking forward to it.

Best of luck with all the planning and work that has yet to go into this, although by the sounds of it, you’re well on the way to a successful publication.

– Thorsten.

Thanks Thorsten,

All the pictures are now edited and the layout design process begins. Chloe needs to start writing too.

8. Daren King

Damien, this all sounds amazing, I look forward to being able to get a copy…hope they are not too expensive…what with that and your courses to save for. :-)

Hi Darren,

The book will be an investment :) You only have to kill me and it’s value will be sure to rise. Haha.

9. Markus MacGill

Wow, wonderful news. I was wondering where all that creative chemistry was heading. Best of luck with it both XX

Thanks Markus,
      We may be calling on you to sub edit our words and poetry. You are the man!

10. Chris Hanley

D, i want a heads up on the party date. Flights to book, hotel room to book, champagne to chill. Everything about this project is wonderful. You must have the secret ;)
    C

Hi Chris,

The date of the party will be determined by how slow the boat is from China carrying our books. You will get an invite ;) Thanks for your encouragement,

Cheers,

11. Simon Davis

I believe this will be an inspirational book.

Looking forward to seeing this new chapter in you life.

Simon

Thanks Simon, Im excited too. Cheers, Damien

Thanks Sean,

I’ll check out the LL article. Cheers, Damien.

13. Sean McCormack

Sounds like a Luminous Landscape style book project. If you haven’t seen the article on printing books, it’s worth a look.

Having seen the leak, I think the work is fabulous.

Sean