Test shoot ~ continuous lighting portraits with Chloe-Jasmine Whichello

Apr 27, 2011 | Continuous Lighting, Location | 18 comments

1. A simple set up to get us going. Lit with just a Lupo 1200 on minimum power.

Cat Hepple set up this test shoot with Chloe Jasmine Whichello to establish some new lighting styles and I second shot. We were at the fabulous Hampton Manor, the scene of future workshops, I’m sure. We kept things simple throughout the shoot being led by the ever-changing natural light. Chloe-Jasmine Whichello was our model. Enjoy the pictures…

2. Sunlight, fabulous sunlight coming through the gaps in partly closed curtains.

2. We used sunlight, fabulous sunlight coming through the gaps in partly closed curtains to light CJ.

7. I love this editorial style image. I could just see it on a double page spread.

11. We went high key too.

11. We went high key too.

13. This shot was lit with window light alone.

13. This shot was lit with window light alone.

14. I then popped the Lupo on to bring these shots alive.

14. I then popped the Lupo on to bring these shots alive.

15. :)

16. A Lupo kick adds glamour to the lighting. A CJ 'look' completes the picture.

17. We nipped into the drawing room to capture the golden tones of the decor en route to the great outdoors.

19. Next to the walled garden stands the greenhouses and tool sheds. A great location to harmonise colour.

24. A bit of lighting magic and a narrow colour palette make this shot.

24. A bit of lighting magic and a narrow colour palette make this shot.

33. Chloe Jasmine coming through a hedge :)

33. Chloe-Jasmine coming through a hedge :)

34. The shot as it was supposed to look.

34. The shot as it was supposed to look.

35. Cat Hepple has the power to shock. What did she say?

35. Cat Hepple has the power to shock. What did she say?

36. Picture perfect

36. Picture perfect. 100mm macro lens at f/2.8

This shoot echoes some of the fabulous shoots that Chloe Jasmine and I had in 2010. They culminated in our first book, the lavishly bound Chloe – Jasmine Whichello.

Signed first edition is now available for £49.50 including p&p from the Floppy Chicken website.

First edition copies signed by both Chloe-Jasmine and myself are now available for £49.50 including p&p from the Floppy Chicken website. Click on the picture to have a look.

Please feel free to discuss the lighting, ask about the techniques that we used and to list your favourites.

If you fancy a 1:1 shoot experience with me to build your portfolio or to learn about lighting ask Blaise for dates and rates.

You can also browse our range of upcoming photography training courses here.

Tweets:

Sarah Ferrara (@sarahfphoto)
@damienlovegrove oh my GOD!!!!!! I needed this inspiration to boost my flagging spirits. Simply stunning. Love them all.

Thu Apr 28 08:49:40 2011

1. Barry Dawson

Love the out takes :-p
    Easily one of the best parts of photography has to be the shoot and the fun involved!

On both sides of the camera (recall falling on my bum more then a few times in many acrobatic manors!)

2. Chloe Jasmine Whichello

A highly random ( ten hours notice!), diverse and exciting shoot. & What a location!

I simply adore #21- The natural available light ,shot through the Greenhouse glass acting as a filter is of such an amazing quality & from the “interior” set #7 “The Fallen Angel” shot – Highly impressive composition, shot from above ; Somehow I knew that Lanvin ballgown would come in handy ;)

Congratulations Damien and Cat – for being an inspiration to many x

3. david cooke

This set is stunning.
    3/5/and nine are divine, 12 is sublime, the eyes in 22 bedazzled me, loved the legs shot in 26, 31 is simply gorgeous, and Chloe is the only woman in the world that could come through a hedge and still look beautiful, great work, will probably look at these several more times a I do with all your sets Damien, I am assuming these are yours and Cats will come later.

Hi David,

Thank you for your lovely comments. Chloe Jasmine is indeed a remarkable woman even in a hedge :) These shots are indeed mine. Thanks again, Damien.

4. Kevin Cull

It appears to have been said above but the lighting on these images is out of this world, The three of you (with Cat) have done such a fabulous job.Can’t wait to join you on the next Weddings workshop so I can absorb some of your lighting genious! Chloe-Jasmine as always looks amazing and has the ability to give your images so many different types of atmosphere!

Thanks Kevin :)

5. Cat Hepple

I am trying to find the words to sum up this shoot, this time with Damien.

I’ve never been more challenged, and it was so much fun. The day was random, we worked with light as we found it and Damien freely passed on his knowledge to help me understand what we were doing and why.

My head literally ached after the 9 hours of virtually non stop photography.

I’ve learnt more than i can even process right now.

Am scuttling off now to edit my set. If they are anywhere near this greatness I will be very very excited !

Thank you Damien.

Cat

x

Wow, thanks Cat,

I’m sorry about the pain but not about the gain :) You too are an inspiration to many of us. My role is to unlock that amazing creativity within you and to free up the constraints that the tools of photography place on all of us at times. Learning to see like a photographer is an exciting and liberating journey and one I’m enjoying sharing with you. Stay inspired.

Damien x

6. Richard Moore

Beautiful, inspirational and elegance a reason to keep pushing photography forward

Thanks Richard,

The big push forward is a bit scary at times because I’m leaving behind all the gadgets and gizmos. A basic camera, prime lenses and just one light have allowed me to distil and simplify my work. It all started when I bought a smaller camera bag, my Think Tank Retrospective 30, and I’ve never looked back since. I thought this was worth a mention.

7. Tony Bayliss

Abby & Ali say it all – simply stunning

8. Claire Plumridge

Love them all!

Favourite is 21, were the greenhouse pics using natural light, and was it natural lighting for 28 and 29?

Hi Claire,

Yes all the numbers you mentioned and the greenhouse shots were taken with natural light. I choose my light carefully, it is my first consideration ahead of background then pose etc. Just that corner of the greenhouse had the perfect light and just that part of the bamboo bush was lit from sunlight hitting the path. Thank you for your kind words,

9. Ali Lovegrove

These are just out of this world! Such variety in one shoot is amazing and beautiful! Use of light is just stunning as always. Can’t wait to see Cat’s set! What a great team the three of you make :-)

Hi Ali,

Thank you, You warmth and fun comes through in your comments and makes me smile. What fun this photography is:)

Thanks again, Damien. xx

10. Abby Wilkes

He’s done it again! Stunning location, stunning model, amazing photographer!! Humbled again Mr Lovegrove xx

Hi Abby,

Thank you, I’m sorry to have invaded your patch for this shoot :) The day was a bit random to say the least. See you soon I hope. xx