Studio Portraits video ~ News update

Dec 12, 2011 | Continuous Lighting, News | 23 comments

Here’s one more chapter from the latest DVD production showing the use of one continuous spotlight to create a simple fashion style portrait taken on a Fujifilm X100. Details of the download procedure and the double DVD options are below.

Download version
Our new servers are working fine and there are no reported major speed issues. The download process is simple and quick. The complete collection comes in two zipped files, part 1 and part 2. The total download size is 3.8Gb and the download content is a 720p HD MP4 production that is non region specific and will play anywhere in the world.

Once the folders are unzipped there will be 36 chapters of varying lengths. We suggest you create a new playlist in iTunes and drag and drop the chapters in. If you play the playlist the production will run seamlessly. If you acess the chapters via the Movies part of iTunes the chapters remain as stand alone files. You can sync this playlist to your iPad or iPhone, play it through Apple TV or play it on your computer. You can even create your own playlists for all the items using one light or all the items using continuous light etc.

Download your copy here.

Double DVD version
The disc version is a PAL standard definition production for playback on region 2 or multi region DVD players. It has industry standard copy protection. It has the identical content and run time of the download version.

Purchase the double DVD version here.

Thank you to all of you who have downloaded or ordered the DVD. Your custom is appreciated.

1. Den

Forgot to ask in my last post – but another kit question please….

In terms of kick lights and a background light for gels – would a triple set of BXRi 500 be a safe bet?

Subsequently a pair of RX600s for front – or one RX600 and one RX1200? .

Thanks again

Hi Den,

I use 2 500’s, 2 600’s, and an assortment of Bowens kit. It does the job for me. We all shoot differently and have different spaces to work in so what is best for me may not be best for you.

Sorry I can’t be more specific. Damien.

2. Den

Hi Damien ,

Can I follow up as to when you will have for sale the beauty dish grid sets as seen in your video? What is the grid setup you are using on the kick lights too?

Thank you.

Hi Den,

I am going to trade with the Chinese company that make them when I’m in Photokina later this year. Until then you can find them on Ebay from a trader called Timbo.

3. Darren Backx

I have now purchased a PW AC3 zone controller & all is working well, thanks again.

Regards Darren

4. Helen

Hi Damien ,Excellent excellent videos well constructed and massively informative ,a great addition to our set.
    We have waited for these to help sort out a studio/portable system. Now we are left with questions.
    1.if we wanted to buy Quadras .then I presume they are compatible with most of the softboxes on the video? 2. Can we mix speedlights with them and if so how would we trigger (D700)? 3. Can Quadras run on mains power ,how and at what extra equipment cost? 4. BRXI or Quads……we need portability and flexibility.

Sorry for all the questions but the videos started a long thought process on where to start based on only having a Sb800/900 at the moment.

.Lupos look excellent but that is a whole different topic……tempting. regards H.

Hi Helen,

Thank you for your compliments. Let me answer your questions in turn.

1. The Elinchrom Quadra is compatible with all the softboxes in the video. I use this adapter. I also use an old Wafer softbox made by Bowens and that has it’s own Elinchrom speedring too.

2.You can trigger Speedlights with this Skyport universal speed receiver. The ‘EL Skyport transmitter Speed’ that comes with the Quadra kit will trigger both the Quadra (with it’s built in receiver) and the Speedlight at the same time. You will need to have either the SB800 or SB900 Speedlight because they have a PC socket on the side.

3. Quadras cannot run on mains power. However I have found that the second battery charges faster than I can use the first so you can always have one battery charging while the other is being used. In practice the Quadra delivers a far greater quantity of flashes than is advertised. The Quadra is very much part of my studio set up.

4. BXRi is less portable and not as flexible as the Quadra. Being able to rig the lighter Quadra flash head on a boom is a great advantage when on location or in the studio without pantographs and overhead rails. Not having trailing cables is a great bonus too.

5. The Lupo 1200 is excellent too but not a replacement for the Quadra. It is a different tool for a different job. No f/11 at ISO 100 with the Lupo ;)

I hope this helps.

5. Simeon Fenn

I’m part way through the download version and so far am really enjoying it. I also though have a quick equipment query though which I am hoping you could answer.

I’m thinking about investing in a beauty dish for my Elinchrom D Lites. The Elinchrom dishes don’t (I think) have any grids, and I’m keen to get one to help control spill. As you use Elinchroms in the video, I was wondering what dishes/grids you used?

Many thanks and keep up the great work.

Simeon

Hi Simeon,

I have arranged a supply of the exact beauty dishes that I use in the video. We are just waiting on a delivery from the far East. They will retail from us at £79 plus postage for the 42cm version with diffuser and grid. They occasionally come up on Ebay so you might want to look there too.

6. Darren Backx

Great Thanks Damien,

Looks like I’m in for the AC3. I have checked it out on the web now. I did’nt realise what it actually done but I do now, so thanks again !
    I actually work for a travel company & we specialise in Africa & I have great access to many genuine tribes & I am able to set up good photoshoots with the tribes but in the past I have tried to steer away from flash but not anymore using the “Damien Lovegrove speedlight set up” will be super, lightweight & easy to use !!
    I hope you have a great christmas & a safe & healthy new year. If you ever get down under again, I will be your 1st customer !

Regards Darren

Thanks Darren :)

7. Darren Backx

I have speedlight mastery & now Studio portraits, I enjoy your simple layman’s terms/simple not too technical approach which is a breath of fresh air compared to many others & has helped my understanding & taken my flash photography to another level, so thanks again !
    One last question, I have a 5d mkII & 580ex II with PW TT1/TT5 set up. I take it if I want to control my off camera speedlite I still need to change the HSS & power levels from the speedlite itself & not from camera LCD menu (so only have limited in camera control so I cant control flash totally in camera which is a pain, I cant see anything on the net or in manuals or on your vids stating otherwise ? I hope this makes sense.

8. Darren Backx

Thanks Damien much appreciated, I love this colour looks great – good choice !

I’m glad you like Melbourne, its a great place to live I must say !

Hi Darren,

I was only in Melbourne a week a couple of years back when I was on my workshop tour of Australia but It was my favourite of the cities I visited.

The answer to your Speedlight question is get an AC3. It will do everything you need at a modest price.

Kindest regards, Damien.

9. Darren Backx

Speedlight Mastery & Studio Portraits are fantastic & I am appreciative of your willingness to share your knowledge & experience. I am just wondering if you are able to advise the actual colour/brand of the beige looking colour background paper you were using in some of your headshots segments in part 1 of Studio Portraits ?

Keep up the good work,

Regards Darren
    Melbourne, Australia.

10. Jason

is there a way to buy this in US currency? my stupid bank charges me to convert currency…

Hi Jason,

Our bank charges us just the same to convert $ to £ so either we charge you more to pay in $ or you pay with VISA / Mastercard etc. It would probably work out the same. If you come to my workshops in Chicago you can pick up a copy in $ because I’ll use $ to pay my hotel bill etc. Chicago dates will be announced early in the New Year :)

11. Romana Wyllie

Damien, your videos are fantastic!!!! Great amount of learning. I learned tons from you during our 1on1 workshop which I strongly recommend. You can see some of my latest images using Damine’s techniques including the use of his gels on http://www.flickr.com/photos/romanawyllie/sets/72157628393677687/
    Damien, I hope to get you over to Prague in 2012 to learn more :)

Hi Romana,

Thank you for sharing your pictures. You have indeed got it! I was in Prague earlier in 2011 and I’d love to go back to run some workshops. Let me know if you can help with locations etc.

Kindest regards, Damien.

12. John

Thanks for your quick response. Done.

13. John

It’s a pity the discount comes out now for all those that have already purchased what is a fantastic set of lessons.

Hi John,

We emailed all our 5126 members with the discount codes right from the start and again on Friday. If you email Blaise with the relevent code she will do a refund for the balance for you :)

Thanks for the compliments, Kindest regards,