01. Rosalinde kikstra in full sun on the waterfront with the fabulous Erasmusbrug bridge set against a blue sky as a backdrop. I shot this and many other photographs in this set with the new XF90mm f/2 lens. This workshop was a perfect opportunity to show my delegates how to use sunlight rather than running for the shadows.
Rotterdam rocks! It gave us plenty of freedom to push our techniques and learning to the max. This was a full on workshop and adventure in one. Here are 17 of my favourite shots from the day all taken on the plucky Fuji X-T10. Enjoy…
Model: Rosalinde Kikstra
Camera: Fujifilm X-T10 with 16mm, 23mm, 35mm, 56mm and 90mm lenses.
Workshop: Street Portraits
02. These three frames of Rosalinde were shot in the same spot. Top right shot – 16mm at f/1.4. Left and bottom shots – 90mm f/2 at f/2. 1/400th second, ISO 200.
03. Orange is a favourite colour in Holland. We’d never get approval to use this paint for a car park entrance in the UK. 16mm at f/1.4 for 1/2000th second ISO 200
04. The 90mm was my new best friend in Holland and worked so sublimely with the X-T10. All frames shot wide open at f/2.
05. That Erasmusbrug bridge is barely ten years old and is testament to the progressive architecture and development going on in Rotterdam right now. The skyline is dominated by sharp high rise buildings and the few remaining wharfs that survived the war are being redeveloped and regenerated. I felt a synergy with Rotterdam and together with Bristol, Manchester and Hamburg it is in my top street shoot locations. Left picture – 35mm lens and the right shot – 56mm lens both shots in full sun without reflectors.
06. It was hot in the sun and a great opportunity for some fashion magazine cover shot material. 23mm lens.
07. We broke out a pair of Cactus RF60 flashes and used them with gels to create the striking shot at the bottom. Both shots 23mm lens.
08. With the white balance set to 3400k and a single bare faced Cactus Speedlight the mood was set. 90mm lens at f/10 with ISO 200
09. I used a kick from the Cactus to give this full sun shot a fashionable edge. 23mm lens at f/11.
10. After a failed attempt to shoot on the SS Rotterdam we headed back to familiar zones and popped in a couple of shots before having a group debrief on a hotel terrace. XF90mm f/2 at f/2 for both shots.
My next street workshop in Copenhagen is sold out but we still have places left on the street portraits workshops in Stockholm and Oslo. Click here for more information and pricing.
Please feel free to comment or ask questions below.