01. The earthen walls of the old Kasbahs reflect the warmth of Morocco.
We gathered at our Riad in Marrakesh for a welcome dinner and then first thing in the morning we were out of the hustle and bustle of the city and on our way over the Atlas Mountains.
02. I love exploring abandoned ruins looking for details to use as a set for a photograph.
Model: Leela Tikadar Styling: Damien Lovegrove Hair and makeup: Leela Locations: Mohammed Kamal (MK) Photography: Damien Lovegrove using a Fujifilm GFX50s with GF32-64mm and GF110mm lenses
I reccied these locations with MK back in December and we set an April date for this adventure. We had to run the trip between Easter and Ramadan to ensure everything would go smoothly.
03. Top and bottom right: I use a Godox AD200 with Scatterflash to simulate sunlight. Left: I left the real sun to do its thing here.
04. I loved working with the crisp Moroccan sunlight. I chose to use this simple flowy dress from H&M for this part of the shoot to provide contrast with the surroundings.
05. Nothing quite prepares you for the flamboyance and frailty of the Moroccan architecture of yesteryear. Much of it has crumbled into the dust from which it came.
06. Left: Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou was on our tour. MK had arranged for us to have an exclusive photoshoot in a couple of the Kasbahs in the town. Right: The mountain passes are dotted with small villages in various states of repair.
07. Our route over the Atlas Mountains started and ended in Marrakesh.
08. The textures in the fabric of the mountain villages is wonderful.
09. Leela was the perfect model for this adventure with grace, enthusiasm and professionalism. Thank you Leela.
10. Lines, design and texture form our backdrops.
Don’t imagine for one moment that getting access for six of us to shoot in these locations with tripods and lighting stands was easy. MK had his work cut out negotiating our shoot location access and permissions. It seems to be a case of who you know rather than how deep your pockets are in most cases. Thank you MK for making all of this happen.
11. I purchased the head pieces and some of the jewelry items on Amazon. I normally use Ebay or Etsy but I was running out of time and the next day delivery was welcome.
12. I loved this moment in our workshop. Times like these make great life memories.
13. As well as the dusty, crumbling kasbahs there are wonderfully decorated ones too.
14. I used a Lupo dual colour Superpanel with a battery to light Leela here.
15. Top Left: I used my GF 110mm lens to capture this shot of Leela by shooting into direct sunlight in an olive grove. Right and bottom: The entrance to one of our tour hotels in the foothills of the Atlas mountains.
16. We did a shoot on the roof terrace of our hotel before moving on to our first location of day 3. Leela wears a dress by Molly Mishi May.
17. Our last shoot of the trip was in a fabulously opulent kasbah. I bought the blue dress in H&M in Marrakesh on my recce.