Life is too short for boring flash photography

Jun 29, 2020 | Flash, Location | 20 comments

Here is a short tutorial video I made showing how I make exciting light using a simple Speedlight and Scatterflash gels. At the end of the video I visit my local woods and take a portrait of Alice on a rock. Presented, written, produced and edited by me, Damien Lovegrove

Run time: 5.28
Production notes: The video was shot in 4k using an iPhone 11 Pro Max and a GoPro Hero 8. The sound was captured with a Rode lav mic into a Sony UX570 pocket recorder.

Scatterflash will feature in my workshops this year for sure. You can read more about this wonderfully simple flash modifier here.

1. Rennis Kauffman

Hi Damien; I’ve been following you for several years and your tutorial vids are extremely helpful (and inspirational). I noticed you have a rectangular lens hood on your X100V in this review and in another. Can you let me know where you got it? I have found black ones that will work but would prefer something that is similar to the lens and body style.

Thank you!

2. Sylvia Germes

Hi Damien,
    When I saw your introduction of the Scatterflash I decided to buy one right away. I see you using it outdoors as well as indoors. However, when I use it outdoors with a light wind the scatter gells fall of. In the above video it is also windy and the gells do not come off. What am I doing wrong?

• Damien

Hi Sylvia,

I’m pretty sure your actions are not the problem. It may be that you got an early batch of clips. I’m sorry about that. I’m going to send you some new clips to use.

• Sylvia Germes

That would be great! Thank you very much.

3. Randy

Beautiful pictures Damien! Just curious as to what you have attached on the front of your ad200, other than the scatterflash!

• Damien

Hi Randy,

Thank you. Well spotted. I hAve the Godox barn doors and the flash of white is self adhesive Velcro that I use for attaching coloured filter gels.

Best regards,

Damien

4. Michael

Did you cut out the ambient light? Did use the flash as the main light or key?

• Damien

Hi Michael, Yes and yes. For the rocks picture I set the ambient exposure dark enough to just make out detail and then I added flash on full power.

I hope this helps,

5. Luiz Henrique Xavier

Love the pictures with rocks. Very nice colors. Thanks for sharing.

• Damien

6. Ivan Deleus

Magnificent area at the end. Love the vivid colors!

• Damien

Thank you Ivan. I’ll take you there when you pop over one day :)

Kind regards, Damien.

7. SIMON HOLDING

Very engaging and inspirational. Thank you very much for sharing your work with us, Damien. Great Scatterflash images too.

• Damien

Thank you Simon for the compliments :)

Best regards,

8. Jay Mijares

Great work as always, Damien! The colors of the rock are amazing!

• Damien

• Steve Farrell

You have left me wanting more Damien… Loved my day in Bristol with you and Mischkah – it was only 8 months ago, but feels like a lifetime, in view of the pandemic… Fabulous work.

• Damien

Thank you, Steve. I loved our day in Bristol too. Stay safe and get shooting :)