Three Day Wedding Seminar Event ~ Pictures

Oct 2, 2010 | Flash, Location, Wedding | 21 comments

Here are a few pictures from the first of this seasons shooting winter weddings workshops. The three day event held in Stonehouse Gloucestershire comprised a shoot day followed by a one day business school and then a day of wedding picture post production with Marko. Julie and I rounded off the week with another Shooting Weddings event to satisfy the early demand for shooting skills training.

Here is a small selection of the pictures shot on the two dark and rainy days. Our role as photographers is to bring out the sun in our images.

1. My classic exposure of *00ISO, 1/60th second at f/4 was needed for this Arri 300 lit bridal portrait.

1. My classic exposure of ISO 800, 1/60th second at f/4 was needed for this Arri 300 lit bridal portrait.

2. Nikon D700, 1/20th second at f/4 with ISO 1250.

2. Nikon D700, 1/20th second at f/4 with ISO 1250.

4. Nikon D700, 1/25th second at f/4, ISO 1250

4. Nikon D700, 1/25th second at f/4, ISO 1250

6. Canon 5D mk2, 1/30th second at f/2.8 ISO 800

6. Canon 5D mk2, 1/30th second at f/2.8 ISO 800

7. I teach how to add a splash of flash off camera to lift even the darkest spaces.

9. Canon 5D mk2, 1/20th second at f/2.8 ISO 800.

9. Canon 5D mk2, 1/20th second at f/2.8 ISO 800.

11. An exercise in how low can you go. Canon 5D mk2, 1/15th second, f/2.8, ISO 1600. Just because it is dark, it doesn't mean the images have do be dark and gloomy too. Julie and I teach how to create bright fresh images in the most unforgiving light. We also teach how to find and use beautiful light.

12. Nikon D700, 1/15th second, at f/4, ISO 1250

12. Nikon D700, 1/15th second, at f/4, ISO 1250

14. Nikon D700, Plus 3.7 stops of exposure compensation in AV mode. Don't try this on a Canon 5D mk2 because you can't. It's manual shooting for Canon wedding shooters.

15. Plus 3.3 stops of exposure compensation. Pro lenses without filters will ensure you get clean, flare free images in situations like this.

16. I teach the Lovegrove monopod trick for getting a high viewpoint anywhere.

16. I teach the Lovegrove monopod trick for getting a high viewpoint anywhere.

17. Next it was shelter from the rain under some yew trees. Dark but fantastic light to.

21. Canon 5Dmk2, 1/10th second, f/3.2, ISO 1600

21. Canon 5Dmk2, 1/10th second, f/3.2, ISO 1600

23. Greyness can be romantic too as long as it's not made to look stormy and sinister.

24. I used the Lupo 800 to show how to make fun pictures using an interior brick wall.

Orbis! What more shall I say. Ringflash is a fabulous tool when used well. Even these bar shutters made an ideal background for this shot.

25. Orbis! What more shall I say. Ringflash is a fabulous tool when used well. Even these bar shutters made an ideal background for an Orbis shot. Hopefully the bar shutters will be up at your weddings!

If you would like to learn how to shoot in very low light levels without resorting to illuminating with flash each time, then this event is for you. Julie and I teach use of flash too but we will open your eyes to life below 1/20th of a second. As well as getting a portfolio of repeatable images you will have a better understanding of how to shoot to sell. What to take and what not to take. Details of our next three day wedding event is here. You can also browse our range of upcoming photography training courses here.

Please feel free to comment below on these pictures or your experience of these workshops.

Thanks Anthony,

The monopod opens up a whole new world of low light photography without the need to have a ridiculously shallow depth of field or very high ISO.

1. Gavin

Love the pics, awesome work… just a question that has thrown me a bit going through the images.

I see your exposures are very low, and your ISO is very high…. but still your images seem sharp…?? do you not find you pic up lot of noise and is there not a loss in sharpness?

Regards… Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for your compliments. We use cameras capable of clean exposures at high ISO and we always use a monopod etc to hold the camera still. The craft skills of photography are often overlooked these days. The utmost care is needed with lighting and exposure. Plus we have to keep the subject and camera still too. This workshop is about achieving excellence in a difficult environment.

2. Helle Gammelgaard

Well, better late that never, as they say :)

First of all Merry Christmas and Happy New Years

Hello all you magnificent people at Lovegrove and the participants.

I too would like to thank you so much for making 3 grey days into sunshine by abundantly sharing your extent knowledge with us “greenies”. There is definitely a before and an after your workshop!

Kindest Regards
    Helle Gammelgaard

Wow, thank you Helle,

I appreciate the effort and time commitment you made to do this 3 day workshop and your kind words are testament to your decision to make it happen. I wish you the best success in 2011 and I really do hope to get to meet you again.

3. Shane Young

My head is still reeling from it all. So much content, so much enthusiasm, such craftsmanship – from all three of you. My business will never be the same again.

Wow! Thanks Shane.

We love you too :) Kindest regards, Damien.

4. Susie Mackie

Having just come down to earth from three of the most inspiring days of my life, I want to thank you all –

Damien and Julie – the way you teach and the way you share is superb. Before the course, I knew where I wanted to go with my new business – now, I know how to get there! (And importantly, keeping myself on track!) The shooting day has given me so much more confidence, and I am so excited to go and shoot my next wedding (fortunately, on Saturday!) On the second day, I wrote 24 pages of notes – and I know there are some real gems within – trust me, I shall act upon them!

Marko – your expertise with Photoshop and Lightroom is awe-inspiring, and you are a brilliant teacher. Thank you so much, and thank you for the actions too. I can’t wait to apply your teachings to my next set of images!

Thanks must also go to Blaise and the people behind the scenes – you really do have a truly admirable set-up and your success is well deserved.

Thank you all for going the extra mile – and then some!

Hi Susie,

It was a delight to have you on our workshop. Thank you for taking the time to write this fabulous feedback. Have a great career.

5. Sarah Critchlow

This was the best 3 day course I’ve been on – loved the style of photography – my kind of images – beautiful, stunning and bright – lots to take away to incorporate into my shooting. Day 2 Business with Damien was excellent – soaked up lots of new ideas and am busy putting the easy ones into practice already! Day 3 with Marko – wow – I’m going back to Lightroom!! Thank you all for a terrific course – look forward to another course in 2011.

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your excellent synopsis. I’m so glad you have benefitted in so many ways. Stay in touch.

6. Phil Stanley

As an attendee of the workshop I can highly recommend. The workshops are of the highest standard and I learnt far more from Damien than other workshops that I have attended. The pace, delivery and content of information was superb.

Many Thanks

Thanks Phil :) Cheers, Damien.

7. Lee Tuckett

Wow! Almost convinced me that I want to do weddings! Gorgeous shots as I have come to expect. Especially 19,20 & 21 love em! Thank you for sharing, I will continue to admire and aspire to this standard before I compete with the big boys in weddings.

Hi Lee,

Thank you for your praise. You too can shoot like this with the right know how. If you are serious about one day competing with the ‘big boys (and girls)’ there’s no better time to get started. We nearly always have wedding workshops available for booking here. Thank you once again for taking the time to comment. Feedback like this keeps us on track and happy.

8. Chris F

Great shots, I love this kind of bright, simple photography.

9. Phil

As always…great pictures. I just love number 12

Thanks Phil and Chris. Damien.

10. Matt Foden

A Great collection Damien! Love the monopod trick- I think I’ve seen you do that in your shooting weddings DVD!! :-)

Hi Matt,

You are not mistaken about my monopod trick. Works a treat and is a sure fire way of earning your investment back in extra print sales from just a couple of weddings.

Thanks for your kind words,