Bridal Boudoir ~ test shoot

Feb 28, 2012 | Location, Wedding | 16 comments

1. Imaginative use of space combined with simple lighting is the key to this kind of shot.

Last month, Julie and I shot a one hour test for a forthcoming bridal boudoir workshop and I thought I’d share some of our naturally lit pictures with you. For the workshop itself we will be working with two gorgeous slightly older professional models. This is going to be a prestigious event held at Kingscote house in the Cotswolds. We will be using a single Speedlight with various modifiers for some of the pictures on the workshop day itself.

Julie asked Luke to give her pictures (shots 08 – 19)  a simple post production look.

The aim is to keep the shooting simple, beautiful and repeatable. We will use light imaginatively to create stunning images that transcend into art. As with all our workshops we will share our techniques for creating natural relaxed poses and intimate captivating looks.

Model: Charlotte H from Gingersnap.

Location: Kingscotte House near Tetbury.

08. This is the first of Julie's shots. Julie shoots on a Nikon D700 and uses three zoom lenses: 14mm - 24mm f/2.8, 24mm - 70mm f/2.8, and 70mm - 200mm f/2.8

10. We will show you how to maximise, minimise, highlight and diminish body and facial features on this workshop.

Please feel free to leave comments below.

The workshop details are here.

1. david cooke

Wonderful images Damien following you is certainly inspirational

Thanks David :)

2. Kevin Cull

Another endorsement for beauty in simplicity, love it!
    Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

3. Richard Hart

I wonder what Charlotte’s mum thinks?!

I have noticed a big difference between men and women shooting boudoir. Women tend to shoot very soft high key lighting and men more dramatic or low key. There is limited eye contact, is this crucial to the style? What do other people think?

Nick, I think it comes from a historically sexually restrained society. Here in California, women are interested in doing boudoir as a wedding gift. In England, “sexy” shots would always sell over others!

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your comments. Interesting, Damien.

4. nick alamanos

Never had a request for bridal boudoir in Montreal. Is this a trend in Europe for wedding photography?

By the way the set is incredible.

Nick

Hi Nick,

That means it is a perfect opportunity to be the first to offer Bridal Boudoir in Montreal. People don’t ask for what isn’t there. Thanks again for your compliments. Bring me to Montreal and I’l show you how it’s done :)

Regards, Damien.

5. Chris Hanley

These are beautiful and being honest I think Julie has just pipped you to the post. Shot 18 is outstanding
    C

Hi Chris,

I think you are right there. Bridal boudoir should be on your product offerings list too.

6. Christian Ingram

Loving your work and the simple approach you take. You consistently prove that simple setups work and that it’s not about having the latest and greatest gear, especially when it comes to lighting and modifiers. Thank you for sharing so much on your blog. I wish you did workshops down-under as I would love to attend one.

Hi Christian,

Thank you. I’m working on a trip to Australia but unfortunately Sponsors are not materialising quite as I wish.

I’ll keep you posted. Kindest regards, Damien.

7. Steve Hale

Beautiful as usual Damien, this will be a massively popular workshop for you. Bridal Boudoir is big business now with around 50% of our brides taking up a shoot with us.

Hi Steve Hale,

A 50% take up is very significant. It is important to be in there from the start just like you have done in order to realise the genre potential.

Thanks for your compliments. Damien.

8. Steve

I really love the tone in these images Damien. Slightly muted and warm. Gives a very fresh feel.
    Steve